Governor DeSantis signs bill to provide more educational opportunities
HILEAH, Fla.– Governor DeSantis signed a bill on Tuesday that will allow for more opportunities for children who come from low-income homes. The bill is also beneficial to those who have unique abilities as well as military and foster families.
“This legislation creates historical levels of flexibility in both schooling and educational services for millions of low-income families and families of students with unique abilities,” said Governor DeSantis.
“As we have seen for more than 20 years now, these scholarship programs have elevated so many children and families.”
Here is a breakdown of some key points of the bill:
- “Reimagine” choices in Florida schools to cater to more families – According to a statement from the Governor’s office, this bill will increase access to educational opportunities and address the unique needs of students.
- Prioritize student success – The state increased individual scholarship amounts to 100%. The criteria has also been expanded to include more families.
- Family Empowerment Scholarship- Children living in foster care, out-of-home care or a low income household will be given priority.
- The bill hopes to “eliminate barriers” to education- The requirements for a student to be in public school before applying for a scholarship has been eliminated. Goals have been set to get kids off of the waitlist for scholarships and benefits.
- Members of military families are exempt from waitlists or maximum scholarship enrollment, meaning they will have more choices for school.
- Scholarship funds have been expanded to cover all of student’s educational expenses.
The post Governor DeSantis signs bill to provide more educational opportunities appeared first on NBC2 News.NBC2 Fort Myers